Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Todai - Brilliant Marketing!


Share



As my birthday was approaching, I got that inevitable call from my brother, 'So your birthday is coming up, want to hit Todai?'  This little question got me thinking.  How many places out there go to the lengths that Todai Japanese Sushi and Seafood Buffet does to get you to come in on your birthday?  Furthermore, why don't more businesses try this strategy?  Now I know a lot of places out there do offer some sort of deal, but the first words you hear every time you walk in to Todai is, 'Any birthdays?'.  In case you have never been there then your first question is, 'Why, what happens on your birthday?'  If you have been there, it's a simple reminder to show up on your special day.  For those of you that don't  know, you get one free entry to the buffet on your birthday.

I look at it this way though.  The restriction is that you have to have at least 1 paying customer with you in order to qualify.  In today's case, I had 7 other friends that decided to join us.  How many places out there wouldn't offer a bring 7 get 1 free coupon?  On top of that, people usually go out of their way to join you on your birthday, so there are almost always decent sized groups.  It's so simple and yet so BRILLIANT!!!

Now as for the food, I would not say it isn't anything spectacular.  If you have never tried sushi, it's a great way to try a little of everything without ordering it separately.  It's also nice because it's a buffet so if you decide you don't like it there are all kinds of other hot dishes to eat.  As far as sushi goes, I would say it is average at best.  If you want top quality, I can recommend a half dozen places that I think are better.  However, if you just want to eat a little of everything, this is your place!  Plus you can have a crepe when you're done!  How often do you get that at sushi???  It's like being in Vegas.

Overall, I think it's a great place to meet up with friends on your birthday.  I definitely wouldn't make it your romantic anniversary dinner, though!  Now the one problem I still haven't been able to solve, is how to get out there without eating entirely too much.  All you can eat and restraint just don't seem to go together!

No comments:

Post a Comment