Monday, February 1, 2010

Avatar in 3D


Share



So I know I am way behind the curve on this one, but I finally took the time to go see Avatar in 3D last night.   Everyone that had seen the movie talked it up to the point where I was actually worried that I would be disappointed.  Lord knows that very few things live up to the type of hype this movie has been getting, but I was excited anyway.

So I pulled up the movie listings and saw that the Lloyd Center Theaters had it playing at 3:10.  Since it was just a normal Sunday I didn't think there would be any problem gettting tickets and checking it out.  However, the girl in the box office informed us (I brought my brother and sister in law for the ride) that not only was this showing sold out, but every single Avatar 3D showing had been sold out since it's debut at Lloyd Center.  Now I realize that this is pretty close to downtown Portland and the Pearl District, but I did not think that many people would be venturing across the river to check out this movie.  Boy was I wrong!  We promptly bought tickets for the 6:50 showing and decided that we would be sure to get there plenty early.

After killing a couple hours and taking Caleb and Soraya to the new Chipotle on Lovejoy for the first time, it was now 6pm and we headed over to the theater.  They were huge fans of Chipotle in case you were curious.  It is now 50 minutes before start time, on a movie that's been out for a month and a half, and upon our arrival there are probably 50 people in line ahead of us!  WHAT?!?  Considering it's $13.50 to watch this movie in 3D, James Cameron must be watching his bank account roll up line one of those progressive slot machines in Vegas.

Now I will say Regal has done a good job of upgrading what used to be quite a dumper for a Theater.  This is the Lloyd Center Theaters across the street, not the ones actually inside of Lloyd Center Mall.  We walk in and file directly into the theater so we can watch the 40 minutes of commercials and the 4 rolling trivia questions. Good times!  However once the movie started, I was in complete awe.  I will not go into the storyline in case people haven't seen it, but the experience was unlike anything I had ever been to.  The way things popped off the screen and the vivid colors grabbed me from the very beginning.  The only thing that could make this experience feel any  more real is if they start raising and lowering the temperature of the theater and start pumping in smells to go with what you see on screen.  Outside of that, you felt like you were there!  

This truly was an epic movie and there were very few times in the 3 hours where I wasn't totally captivated.  I actually don't go see a lot of movies and from the terrible trailers I saw that trend will probably continue.  However, this movie is worth every cent and every minute of your time.  In fact I'm already thinking I'm probably going to shell out the $15.50 so I can go see it in IMAX.  I will definitely make sure I am there well in advance next time though, I refuse to sit in the front row of an IMAX theater.  I am going to make it happen, so if you want to go just say the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment