Wednesday, May 13, 2009

iPod Robots

I think I need to find someone to do a study on how listening to your iPod removes all human qualities. I'm sure you've all seen it. Here's an example:

Yesterday I was walking down to the grocery store and I see a person walking directly toward me from about 1/2 a block away. Being that I'm a social person, I'll traditionally make eye contact and give a quick hello or nod. However, this on coming person has their iPod on, walked by me stiff as a board, head fixed, eyes staring 1000 miles away, and marched past me as if I wasn't even there.

So my question is this: why does an iPod make all of your other senses go away??? Obviously you can't hear as well, but how is it that you can no longer see, smell, touch or taste? Now I'm not positive this person couldn't taste, smell or touch, but they obviously could no longer see me or hear me.

I just think that this is setting a bad trend. This happens a half dozen times every time I walk around downtown. I'm not asking for every random person to stop and have a conversation with me, but acknowledge my presence. I'll give you a quick smile and hello or something along those lines, and we will both continue on our merry way. Portland prides itself on being a friendly city and a great community feel. I have no problem telling people from out of town that this is a great welcoming city. However, people like this make it difficult.

At times I too like to sport some tunes while I walk around town. Just because I am listening to music doesn't mean that the rest of the world doesn't exist. I can still give a wave, nod, and acknowledge other people. I don't think that's too much to ask. So, if you are walking around town with your iPod blaring, enjoy that music! Get into your music and dance and sing to it if you'd like. Just don't use it as a license to be rude as you pass by other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment