Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Portland Winters, Not So Bad


Share



I think all of America knows Portland as part of the rainy Northwest.  I must say, I am included in that way of thinking, and when people from out of town ask me how the weather is in Portland my usual answer is; 'The summers are beautiful and it rains the rest of the time.'  However, I'm not sure if it's just this year or if it is just easier to overlook the blue sky days in hindsight.  This year in particular though, I've really started to see that we rarely have to deal with prolonged bouts of rain. 

Over the past couple of months, we have had a few weeks where there were solid gray skies and consistent rain.  For example, as I worked away this afternoon I looked out my window to see beautiful blue skies.  This past Saturday, I walked down to Safeway in 55 degree weather. That's not too bad for a day in the middle of winter in the Pacific Northwest.  Either way it adds a different level of energy that you can feel buzzing around the city.  I know for me it makes getting motivated to do my job much easier.  This is especially true when I'm spending hours of my time driving clients between houses.  I think we can all agree that a dark rainy day is less than ideal.   

Overall, I can still say there is no better place to be than Oregon in the summer.  We have months of dry, warm, beautiful days.  It's rarely too hot, and rarely cloudy from July to the end of September.  However, the winters don't seem to be as bad as I remember.  Maybe this is a special year, or else I just didn't take the time to notice in the past.  Regardless, all of these sunny days in December and January have made Portland a decent place to be in the winter.  I guess my lovefest for Oregon and Portland will continue as long as the Mountain is an hour away, the coast is an hour away, the summers are perfect, and the winters are 'not so bad'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment